Arkansas Gazette, dated Sunday, June 7, 1936.
This is the wedding picture of Philip H. Bernays and Kate P. Jones Bernays, who were married Wednesday, September 10, 1879 in Little Rock.
Mrs. Bernays, who will be 80 July 2, is the only daughter of Dudley E. Jones, who with Augustus H. Garland and Gordon N. Peay, was a member of the state Board of Supervisors at the Arkansas Constitutional Convention of 1874.
Mr. Jones, the father of Mrs. Bernays, came to Little Rock in 1865 and went into the general merchandising business with General Bussie in 1866. This business known as the Dudley E. Jones Machinery Company was located for 47 years on East Markham street, near Commerce Street. It was closed out shortly before 1913, at the death of Mr. Jones.
The late Philip Henry Bernays was proprietor of a men's furnishing goods store under the Capital Hotel from 1879 to 1884 and did his own buying in New York. The Little Rock Boating and Athletic Club, now the Little Rock Athletic Association and the oldest athletic club west of the Mississippi, was organized in 1873 in his store and he was its first vice president.
Mr. & Mrs. Bernays left Little Rock for Oakland, Cal., in 1890, taking their small daughter, Edith; sons, Dudley and Ralph, and infant daughter, Anna Louise. Two more children, Ralph Fearing and Dorothy Caroline, were born in Oakland. The children are all living in Southern California except Dudley E. Bernays, who is in Little Rock, working on the federal historical survey under the direction of Mrs. Bernie Babcock. Dudley Bernays was associated with D. Palmer Patterson and the late Dr. Charles Hillman Brough for a year in the Community Sunday Forum here, 1932-33.
Philip H. Bernays was killed in an automobile accident in 1926.
On their 25th wedding anniversary Mr. & Mrs. Bernays had a picture made in Los Angeles, posed similar to this wedding picture.
Mrs. Bernays makes her home in Los Angeles.