Friday, October 30, 2009

Follow Friday - Missouri Digital Heritage


Personally I don't have any relatives from Missouri; in fact, few of my relatives ever left North Carolina once they arrived, so before I started researching my husband's family, I knew very little of other state's resources. Soon enough, I found the Missouri Digital Heritage website, and fell in love. It isn't perfect, no website is. But it certainly made me wish more ancestors had lived and died there. It was the first online web site I found that provided a digital copy of the death certificate that I could actually read and interpret for myself. I'm not downplaying transcribed copies, but we all know that people make mistakes, especially if they're transcribing hundreds of records. The family records are my favorite part of the website, but there's much more that I haven't begun to explore. An introductory paragraph reads,
"Through the Missouri Digital Heritage Initiative, the Missouri State Archives and the Missouri State Library, in partnership with the State Historical Society of Missouri, are assisting institutions across the state in digitizing their records and placing them online for easy access. We invite you to explore our website and to join with us in celebrating our collective past.
If you have any family from this state, you shouldn't miss this gem of a website.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Missouri site as well--I have many ancestors from Missouri and really appreciate being able to access these records.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tip, Angela. It's great to find a helpful new blog. I've awarded you The Kreativ Blogger Award at www.thefamilycurator.com.

    ReplyDelete